Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 28, 2011

My Home Depot Gardening Loot

With all this spring-like weather we've been having, I've totally gotten the gardening bug and it's only January!  I've been trying to contain myself because I know there's more frost and I know more rain on the way.  But when it's close to 70 degrees, I can't help myself from doing some yard clean up work and planting.

With both kids in school for the day I made my way down to Home Depot for a leisure shopping trip.  My main purpose for the trip was to find a third terra cotta planting pot to replace the one that broke in my yard.

  No luck finding a replacement which means I'll probably have to buy three different pots to replace the two remaining pots and move the two, to the patio area.  

I didn't find three other pots that I liked well enough so it'll just have to wait until the true spring arrives and there's more of a selection.

I did manage to buy some plants though.  Two Phormium plants to go into the two newly moved terra cotta pots.  I loved the dark color and apparently they'll produce a white flower in late spring to summer.  



Paige was a huge helper in the garden and helped me plant every single plant and then watered them.....kids, just love them.....should have had four of them then maybe I wouldn't have to clean my house!

To fill the two green pots near the front door, I bought some long spindly Horse's Tail, some color and ivy.  Paige especially liked the Horse's Tail.















Oh, and I bought a bird feeder to see if we could attract some birds.  The Hummingbird Feeders are in full use right now and it would be nice to add a different species of bird to our yard.  I'll keep you updated.


I'm looking for some low maintenance, drought tolerant, colorful plants  that will grow to 24 inches or so, that I can add to the future pots that I'm going to buy for our front yard.......any ideas??





Pin It

4 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

You are getting the spring fever early this year! It all looks nice!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

I am Pat! It must be even warmer down in So. CA!

Leontien said...

feeling a bit jelous here but it looks great!

Sofia's Ideas said...

I love the green pot you have there!

I've got the bug too, but its not hard in Florida. I think for me its more that I'm nesting. I'm itching to plant some organic herbs and another giant container of succulents.