Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 15, 2011

Stretch Your Dollar & Freeze Your Milk & Other Dairy Products












photo by google images

If you shop at big box stores such as Costco like I do, you're buying in bulk most of the time.  What does one do with all that extra butter, milk and cheese that comes in large sizes?  Why not freeze it?  Here's a little guide that I find very useful:

Butter:  can be frozen for up to 6-9 months in it's original packaging.

Milk:  can be frozen for up to 1 month...leave room for expansion and shake it after it's thawed.

Hard Cheeses:  like swiss, chedder, gouda, jack & colby can be cut into 1lb pieces, wrapped and frozen for up to 3-4 months.

Grated Cheeses:  store in plastic freezer storage bags for up to 4 months.

Blue Cheese:  can be frozen up to 3 months but will become crumbly after thawing out.

Light & heavy cream, evaporated milk  half and half:   for up to 2 months.  The heavy cream may not whip up after thawing though.

Whipped Cream:  you can freeze whipped cream in dollops or mounds.  Freeze on  a cookie sheet then place in a freezer container separated by wax paper.  Use to top desserts...just take them out 10 minutes before serving dessert.

Yogurt:  can be frozen for up to 4 months.



I freeze my butter and have frozen cheese.
What types of dairy products do you freeze?


Pin It

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can also ( or I do at least)freeze eggs, I break them in an ice cue tray and then freeze, just pop out when you need and let thaw a few minutes. I've never read if this is safe or unsafe but it works for me. Great for baking and discover you are out of eggs.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

All of the above- buy it at Costco and freeze it all- I even buy the cream cheese which I cut and freeze in zip locks- it does not freeze that well but what I do is take it out and mix it with chives and keep it in a glass jar in my fridge for the week- I also buy my shredded cheese like mozzarella and Mexican style and freeze those in smaller zip locks
Which I then take out for the week in the fridge-

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@anonymous, great tip on eggs! I'm always running out:)

@Ren, great tip on the cream cheese....I have not tryed that but need to!

ann said...

I freeze butter and Mozzarella cheese and they do well

Unknown said...

I Love the whipped cream suggestion! Even to freeze just enough for a dessert, allowing time to prep and serve before the cream starts to melt and run down the side! :)