Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

May 20, 2011

How to Toast Coconut and Why

Healthy Cooking Group meeting has once again come around.  I was excited to actually be able to make this meeting, considering I've missed the past couple of months.  The theme or inspiration for our recipes during this month's meeting would be Mexican......my favorite.

I signed up to bring dessert.  But on the day of the meeting, time got away from me and I had to come up with something quick and easy.

Can't go wrong with ice cream, right?!  It comes in 1/3 fat, 1/2 fat, low fat....plenty of options for a healthy cooking meeting.

I didn't just want to bring a carton of ice cream, so I decided to toast the sweetened coconut I had stock-piled in my pantry.  So easy to do too.  Just place on a baking sheet.


Bake in pre-heated 400 degree oven for about 7 minutes.  Let cool and you end up with coconut crunchy sweetness. 













I store mine in a canning jar to keep fresh.


My other inspiration for toasting coconut was this Coconut Pineapple ice cream I found on a trip to Target.  If you adore coconut like I do, don't walk, RUN to the store and pick up a carton.  This Dreyer's brand is a Limited Edition......I'm guessing through the summer months only.

Well, the Healthy Cooking Group meeting was canceled last minute, but I decided to go according to my plan and have a bowl of the coconut pineapple ice cream myself.













And I'm SO glad I did!  I loved how the crunchy sweetness of the toasted coconut blended with the creaminess of the ice cream.  I do believe I've found my new favorite summer time dessert.

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?  I have a few:)


I love to hear from you! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. Have a fantastic day!


Pin It

5 comments:

Janice Grinyer said...

We cant buy ice cream - its over 40 miles away... but we love our ice cream maker! This looks easy - I may ask Mr. Foresterman to try it!
:D

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I bought the Samoa Girl Scout cookie ice cream and will look for this too--I didn't know you could toast coconut and will remember that!! THANKS for the good idea!!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I confess that I've very lazy and whenever a recipe calls for toasted coconut I just...don't. LOL. But yours looks delicious!

bon bon said...

i have found coconut ice cream only once and it was delicious! but with pineapple? yum!! hope our target carries it.

as for the "why" toast coconut? well, that's a silly question. ;o)

Rhonda Gales said...

Stopping by from A Diva's Garden. I love coconut. Toasted sound yummy, I'll have to try it.